The Utah Fire Code requires that the USU Fire Marshall inspect all extinguishers on campus once per year. This is traditionally done during the Fall Safety and Cleaning Inspections each year. However, we would encourage residents to check their fire extinguishers regularly to ensure the pressure gauge shows the needle in the Green Section of the gauge. An under-charged/low pressure extinguisher will be much less effective in extinguishing a fire if used. If you see that this gauge is showing undercharge (below the green zone) or if you have any reason to believe the fire extinguisher would not function properly if used please contact the USU Fire Marshals to have it replaced or inspected. Also, if you ever use your fire extinguisher in any way please call the USU Fire Marshals to have it replaced/recharged.
Approved space heaters are ceramic and oil filled heaters and MUST have the following:
UL listing 1,500 watts or under
Self limiting element temperature setting
Automatic tip over protection
Built in timer that does not exceed an 8 hour time limit
Built in programmable thermostat
Thermal limiter to protect against overheating
General Rules to follow:
Allow a 3 foot clearance between the heater and anything that burns
Always plug the heater directly into an outlet to avoid overheating of cords
Use the heater only as long as required
Shut off the heater whenever it is not in use
Place the heater on a level surface
Always shut the heater off when no one is home to watch it!
No open element or metallic element heaters are allowed (anything that glows red when on) No fuel fired heaters are allowed (kerosene, propane, etc.)
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.